Skip to main content

Cape Fear History & Heritage

The State and Local History Collection houses materials which relate to North Carolina, with a concentration on Southeastern North Carolina. This is a non-circulating collection.

Cape Fear History & Heritage

Special Collections and Archives of NHCPL


We focus on the heritage and history of the people, places, culture, and natural environment of the Cape Fear region, the City of Wilmington, and the great state of North Carolina. 


  • Housed in the North Carolina Room, much of the Collection has been handed down through several former public and private libraries dating back to the Cape Fear Library of 1760.

  • Although emphasis has been placed on collecting information about Southeastern North Carolina, the collection includes materials from across the State.

  • Visitors may now use our new ScanPro 3000 microfilm machine to view film and create PDF's of desired articles.

  • Materials in the North Carolina Room are for research only and may not be checked out.
  • The use of ink pens is strictly prohibited.  We have pencils available for your use upon request.
  • Food, drink, and business solicitation is not permitted.
  • All backpacks, purses, laptop cases, and other bags must be stored in a locker.
  • The use of laptops is permitted.
  • The use of digital cameras is permitted though the flash must be turned off.
  • Please limit cell phone usage and remember to be courteous to others if you do need to be on your phone.
  • The backroom is open, but please take books to the reading room tables.
  • Please leave books on the cart near the front desk and we will reshelve them for you.
  • The computers in the North Carolina Room are setup for family and local history only.  The computer lab on the first floor provides access for email and other services.

We appreciate your understanding and for helping us preserve this rare and special collection.

Visiting Special Collections & Archives


  • Requests from citizens of New Hanover County are taken first. Others are answered in the order received.
     
  • The cost for simple research is 15 cents per photocopy, plus postage.
     
  • Extensive research requires a trip to the library. Before your visit, please contact us so we can anticipate your needs and be sure staff is available.
     
  • All research must be done in the NC Room, state & local materials cannot be checked out.
     
  • A copy machine (15 cents) and a microfilm printer (25 cents) are available to make copies.
     
  • Some materials are too rare/fragile to be copied. Materials within locked cases require ID for access.
     
  • Pencils must be used when working in the NC Room.

 

The Hours of the North Carolina Room are as follows:

  • Sunday: Closed
  • Monday and Tuesday: 9:00 AM - 8:00 PM
  • Wednesday and Thursday: 9:00 AM - 6:00 PM
  • Friday and Saturday: 9:00 Am - 5:00 PM

This monthly feature highlights interesting stories and people from the local area using resources available through the North Carolina Room.

From the Collection June 2018: Buried in Rum, The Tragedy of the Martin Family

Photograph from the Louis T. Moore Photograph Collection

Silas Homer Martin was a prominent antebellum businessman in the lumber trade along with partner George Kidder.  Silas Martin's eldest son John Slater Martin was employed as sailor.  On a journey to the Caribbean Sea, John allowed a younger sister Nancy Adams Martin, nicknamed “Nance” to come along. 

Three months into the voyage Nance fell ill and died from consumption (tuberculosis) in Cardenas, Cuba at the young age of 24.  John brought his sister's body home stored in a cask of liquor, usually thought to be rum, to help keep it preserved from decomposition in the tropical heat.  Nance's body was not removed from the cask and the entire cask was buried in Oakdale Cemetery on June 2, 1857.  The small cross that looks like a tree trunk marks the spot where Nance's rum casket was interred.

Three months after Nance’s death, John once more put out to sea on September 10, 1857 with a load of lumber.  Caught by what is now believed to have been a Category 2 hurricane, John Martin is believed to have been swept overboard by the storm.  The boat was found floating adrift in November 1857 with no survivors.  John's body was never found.

The obelisk in the background of the shot above is the Martin family plot and is inscribed with John's name and the words, "Lost at Sea, September 1857".

Special thanks to Oakdale Cemetery Superintendent Eric Kozen.

From the Collection July 2018: The Story of the S.S. Charles C. Pinckney

 

SS Charles C. Pinckney slides into Cape Fear RiverSS Charles C. Pinckney in the Cape Fear River guided by tugboats

Images from the North Carolina Room Photograph Collection

 

Named after the prominent South Carolina governor and signer of the Consitution, the SS Charles C. Pinckney was the 10th of the 243 liberty ships to have been assembled and launched by the North Carolina Shipbuilding Company in Wilmington during World War II.  The ship was sponsored by Miss Margaret McMahon, a daughter of one of the shipyard’s company officials.  At the launch of the ship, then 14-year old Wilmingtonian Katherine Rhett was the official ship’s “maid of honor.”  During the war, the shipyard became the largest employer in the entire state with over 20,000 black and white workers running three shifts 24 hours a day.

 

Nine months after its launch, the Pinckney was to experience a great tragedy.  The Pinckney left New York on 5 January 1943 under the command of Captain Frank Theoron Woolverton, Jr. as part of convoy UGS-4 carrying war material to support the Allied offensive in North Africa.  Experiencing heavy weather, the ship began to straggle from the convoy.  On 27 January 1943, the German submarine U-514 located the ship and shot three torpedoes, one of which hit the ship causing an explosion of the ordnance in the cargo hold and destroying the bow.  Most of the crew abandoned ship in four lifeboats and a raft.  A contingent of the gun crew stayed aboard and later fired at the German U-Boat when it surfaced just 200 yards away.  Reboarding the stricken vessel, it was determined that the ship was too badly damaged to produce propulsion.  The submarine fired two more salvos of torpedoes, with the second hitting the Pinckney just after midnight on 8 January and caused the crew to abandon the ship for a second time.  U-514 surfaced once more and questioned the crew, but offered no assistance.

 

Although the four lifeboats tried to stay together, they became separated in the heavy seas later that night.  After 11 days adrift, the second mate, four men, and nine armed guards were found by the Swiss freighter Caritas I and taken safely to the Azores Islands.  No trace of the three other lifeboats or the 56 men in them was ever found.  Captain Woolverton was among the lost.

August 2018 From the Collection: Wilmington and Charles Lindbergh

This July 1927 newsletter entitled “Forest Hills” is little more than a prospectus advertising the layout of homes in the then new suburban environ of Forest Hills.  The city of Wilmington itself has long since encompassed the Forest Hills district.  What is striking about this newsletter is the notation of the recent accomplishment of Charles Lindbergh, who had just a month earlier become the first person to fly solo across the Atlantic Ocean as well as the first person to fly non-stop between North America and the European mainland.  Previous attempts had ended in failure, disappearance, and even death of other fliers.

For his daring feat, Lindbergh won the coveted Orteig Prize and its $25,000 reward ($373,000 in 2017), not mention a hero’s welcome in France upon landing outside of Paris.  When he arrived back in the United States in June 1927 he was feted and treated to a ticker tape parade on June 13.  This advertisement attempts to use Lindbergh’s fame by engendering the feelings of pride and accomplishment by encouraging Wilmingtonians to achieve the American Dream of owning their own home.

Loading ...

New History Titles

Book Banner
Main Library & Law Library 201 Chestnut Street • Wilmington, NC 28401 • Phone 910-798-6301 • Hours M-T 9-8 W-Th 9-6 Fri-Sat 9-5 Sun 1-5 (NC Room Closed)
Northeast Regional Library 1241 Military Cutoff Road • Wilmington, NC 28405 • Phone 910-798-6371 • Hours M-T 9-8 W-Th 9-6 Fri-Sat 9-5 Sun 1-5
Myrtle Grove Library 5155 South College Road • Wilmington, NC 28412 • Phone 910-798-6391 • Hours M-T 9-8 W-Th 9-6 Fri-Sat 9-5 Sun 1-5
Pleasure Island Library 1401 N. Lake Park Boulevard • Carolina Beach, NC 28428 • Phone 910-798-6385 • Hours M-Th 9-6 Fri 9-5 Sat 9-1 Sun Closed