Students in participating schools are automatically enrolled in this program. Your child’s student ID number is now a “virtual library card number” which can be used to access public library materials and services. Just type in the student ID number any time you’re asked for a library card number. A few NHCPL services require a PIN in addition to a card number; the default PIN is the last 4 digits of the student ID number.
If you do not want your child to have access to public library resources, you may opt out. Click the link below for an opt-out form, which you can print out, sign, and return to any library branch. Be aware that students who opt out of CLASS Project will not be able to participate in classroom use of library resources unless they have a New Hanover County Public Library card and know the full card number and PIN.
Here are some important things for parents to know:
- CLASS Project allows students to borrow e-books and access library databases and digital resources just like any other New Hanover County Public Library card.
- Students can also borrow up to 2 print books, audiobooks or magazines at a time (no DVDs or music CDs).
- There are no fines or fees for CLASS Project accounts.
- Students will automatically be enrolled in this program and be able to use their school ID number to access library services. The default PIN is the last 4 digits of the student ID number.
- If you opted out of having your child’s directory information shared at the beginning of the school year, then your child will not be automatically enrolled. If you want your child to have access to public library resources, visit any of the four public library branches in person with two forms of ID to obtain a traditional NHC Public Library card.
- If you do not want your child to have access to library materials, you may opt out of CLASS Project. Visit CLASS.NHCLibrary.org for an opt-out form, which you can print, sign, and return to any library branch. Teachers do plan to use public library resources in the classroom, and students who are opted out of CLASS Project will not be able to participate unless they have a traditional New Hanover County Public Library card and know the full card number and PIN.
- Parents are encouraged to visit the public library to obtain traditional library cards for additional check-out privileges. Students may continue to use their traditional public library card in addition to their CLASS Project Student ID number account.